Tuesday, February 4, 2014

To Rage or Not to Rage

So. That pesky Coca-Cola ad. Was it beautiful? Was it outrageous? Was it only the racist and bigoted who found it offensive? Was the offense manufactured?

I didn't have much of a reaction to it myself. Granted, I didn't even see it until I googled it after the Super Bowl was over - mostly to see what all the fuss was about. And to tell the truth, after the hype generated and the outrage claimed, I felt that it was a little anti-climactic. Maybe that's just because, having cut our cable in 2009, I just don't have the exposure to commercials that I used to have. But then again...

Maybe it's because I haven't spent 5-10 years and most of my savings in an effort to become an American through proper channels.

Maybe it's because I am so very many generations removed from, "Son, we are Americans. We speak American now," spoken haltingly, but with immeasurable pride.

Maybe it's because I don't live in one of the growing number of American cities that are in real danger of a "press 2 for English" situation.

Maybe it's because I watched it without connecting it to the fact that we are about to be force-fed amnesty, and without thinking about the fact that the war begins in culture. Yeah, that's right: the war begins in...commercials. Was Coca-Cola soft-selling amnesty packaged as patriotism+diversity? Maybe. I didn't make that connection while I was watching it, but I bet someone out there did.

So I personally wasn't outraged. There are so many other things currently happening that are deserving of outrage that frankly, I didn't have time to add Coca-Cola to the list. But I'm not willing to dismiss the validity of the outrage felt by others. Yes, in the end we choose what outrages us. But there are occasions when outrage is a valid choice.

2 comments:

  1. This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure 5
    years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
    lot getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting
    for is death because i was broke. One day i heard about this great man who
    is well known of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly
    to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he prepare the
    herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the
    two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went,
    surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it
    was a joke, i went to another hospital, it was also negative, then i took
    my friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr, after the treatment she was
    also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer... please i
    want everyone with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
    email address, ogboduspellhome@gmail.com...his phone number[2347069492065, 2347050485554]... do email him he is a great man.
    Thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your
    good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Frank Silver from uk, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER

    ReplyDelete