Monday, October 24, 2011

Dentists, donuts, and union stooges

I had a dental emergency this morning - basically one of my lower left molars felt the need to implode, causing me serious amounts of pain. Anyway, I was fortunate enough to find a dentist (Webster Dental Care, if anyone is interested) that could take me first thing this morning.
By nine-thirty, I was leaving the dentist's office, quite pleased with the way events had transpired. Prescription in hand, I made for the nearest WalMart.


But first, a stop at Dunkin' Donuts for coffee...


I saw the sign as I turned in to the parking lot - two men with the typical union umbrellas stood on either end of a giant sign that read "Shame on Lowe's" and made other references to a labor dispute. What made me giggle was the fact that the word "Lowe's" had been taped over the name of the previous business that they had protested... So effectively the sign said "Shame on <insert target business here>."


I didn't think much of it - other than developing a sudden and unexplainable urge to spackle something - and continued into DD for my coffee. 


As I pulled out of the DD parking lot and headed for WalMart, I passed two other men wearing union shirts and hats and carrying stacks of flyers. They were waiting for cars to stop at the stop signs and then walking up to the drivers' windows to hand them the papers. I stopped at the stop sign, ignoring their attempts to get my attention, and then began to pull away. One of them stepped off the curb and literally began to chase after my car, waving the flyers behind me. Both men began shouting about how evil I was for not supporting Missouri workers. I can't be sure, but I believe that several obscenities were hurled. And I think one of them mentioned my mother.


I wanted to tell them that the second they stepped off the curb - whether or not they were invited by the driver to approach the car - they were breaking Missouri state law. I wanted to tell them that I lived in Illinois. But I wanted my prescription more, so I let it go.


Some people who read this post will get annoyed at me for being anti-union. If anti-union and anti-a-hole are the same thing, then I guess I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment